Sunday, July 18, 2010

#2 The Godfather (1972), 175 mins.

Beth: Bear with me. We actually watched this movie on New Years and forgot to write a review. So here's what I remember: the movie was SLOW. LONG and slow. There's the Godfather who's in charge of the mafia. It begins with the wedding of his daughter. All the while, people are asking him for favors. His favorite son comes to the wedding and insists that he's not getting in the biz. He's doing his own thing. The Godfather's cool with it. Time passes, the horse head in the bed happens (put my favorite nephew in your movie or I'll kill you like I did your prize horse) and then before you know it, the favorite son is in the biz. He kills some people and has to flee the country. He lives in the motherland (Italy) for a while, where I think he meets his wife. They are happy until he has to return to the U.S. because his father is dead. He takes over the biz. The end. Save yourself from watching it. Maybe the sequel will be better??

Alf: Not sure that I remember too much about the movie, the movie spans a long time, maybe a decade? So, there's a lot to fit into the movie, and some of it blurs together. I do remember that the Don's son was in the military, and he came home and was basically staying away from the mafia business. Here's what I think happened... Some time later, someone asks the Don to be his partner in his new drug business, but the Don is opposed to being in the drug business, so he declines the offer. The drug dealer goes to another Mafia Don, and this time, this Don accepts the offer for partnership...then some mafia war breaks out.

I do remember liking the movie at the time, but I didn't think it was "great." I definitely don't remember saying "this is the best movie I've ever seen." You know? Anyway, might have to give it another try some day, but at this rate, it'll be another 15 years before I see it again [I saw part of it when I was younger, but I don't remember seeing the whole thing.]

No comments:

Post a Comment