Sunday, July 18, 2010

#175 The Hangover (2009), 100 mins.

Beth: So I wasn't sure if I'd like this movie so I waited to watch it. And everyone kept telling me how great it was. I think by the time I actually watched it, there was too much hype. I felt like all the best parts were in the previews. I liked the beginning of the movie and then it just fell apart for me. And I guess I wasn't the only one who felt that way. When we printed this list, The Hangover was in the Top 250 and now it isn't. If you haven't heard the story, it's a Bachelor party gone bad in Vegas. All the guys can't remember what happened that night or where the groom is and they are in a race against time to find him and deliver him to his wedding. Zach Galifianakis plays the future-brother-in-law who gets a pity invite (because he's weird) to the party. He provides most of the comedy. Along the way, they have to set straight a bunch of stuff they messed up the night before.

Alf: This review actually comes as a surprise. We recently watched this movie at home, it was my second time. I had originally watched it in the theater with friends, but Beth hadn't gone with us. The reason I say that it was a "surprise" was because I had no idea that it could possibly be in the imdb top 250. At the time that I had watched it, I thought the movie was funny and entertaining, but even then knew that it wasn't "timeless." Apparently, people are starting to realize this. At the time we had printed the list of Top 250, The Hangover was at 175, now it's no longer on the list. We said at the beginning that we were doing the Top 250 at the time, and this is why. The list keeps changing, there'd be no way to keep up with the changes from week-to-week.

Anyway, the movie does have funny parts in it, but most of the writing is unfortunately only good for laughs the first time. That's the problem with a lot of comedies (for me). You really need to have some great dialog for a comedy to be funny over and over, if the whole movie consists of slapstick-type humor, it doesn't really do it for me after the first time. In short, I'd say that people should watch the movie if they're never seen it before, since it does provide a few good laughs and Zach Galifianakis steals the show. Also, resist the temptation to watch it again, it's always better in your memory.

Watched ~6/25/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment