Monday, August 3, 2009

#82 -The Prestige (2006), 130 mins.

Alf: I think The Prestige is yet another great movie directed by Chris Nolan. He has a great storytelling ability. The movie is about two dueling up-and-coming magician/illusionists, who become obsessed with both revenge, and trying to one-up each other. What should have been a simple story, get a little more complicated with some science fiction aspects. Overall, I still enjoyed this movie, and would recommend it...afterall, I've seen it twice!

Beth: Definitely better and more memorable than the Illusionist. It had a nice twist to it that I didn't see coming but it also raises some ethical questions about the length someone will go to get revenge. I was a little confused by the ending. As Alf says, the whole movie seems to focus on this obsession with revenge but at the very end Hugh Jackman makes a claim that I think is a poor attempt by Chris Nolan to give depth to a shallow character. Seemed to over-reach the limits of an entertaining movie. Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale were nice to look at, too.

Watched on 8/2/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment